A tragic event occurred on Monday, May 22, 2017 in Manchester leaving 22 concert-goers and parents killed and 116 people injured. The world will be mourning for those involved for years to come.
Amidst this overwhelming time, it is important to keep a few things in mind when in public spaces to ensure your safety and those around you.
Locate and be familiar with the venue's Procedure Maps
Emergency procedures diagrams are located in specific areas within buildings. These diagrams provide floor plans showing the locations of exits and emergency equipment, such as fire extinguishers, and maps for evacuations routes and assembly areas.
In the event of an emergency
- Do not panic and follow the instructions of relevant emergency services personnel and emergency control personnel
- Act in accordance with directions given by emergency control personnel and evacuate the building immediately
- Move calmly to the nominated relevant evacuation assembly area and do not leave the area until the all clear has been given
- If a suspicious object is found, do not touch it
- Assist any person in immediate danger, but only if it is safe to do so
- Know where the muster area is to meet with other people evacuating
On top of all that is listed, one of the most important things is to be familiar and aware of your environment. It is imperative to know where the exits are before you need to find them as it will be more difficult to read a map in the midst of an emergency.